COSTUMES / COSPLAY IS FOR THE FANS, BY THE FANS... SO LETS KEEP IT SAFE AND FUN.
Costumes and daily wear shall not expose the body in such a way as to be deemed indecent exposure under California and City of San Jose ordinances.
All costumes worn within the convention center must fit through a standard doorway.*
No costume may generate odor, smoke, or fog, or have overly bright or flashing lights.*
All costumes with limited visibility and/or movement must have a "handler" to assist with crowd navigation and safety. This also applies to costumes with large wings, tails, or other over sized elements.
No costumes may be realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement in such a fashion that there would be any confusion between the costume and an actual official.
* Special effects and larger than normal costume pieces/accessories are permitted for the costume contest, but it must be brought in and suited up backstage, and the costume must be able to climb and descend steps from the floor to the stage.
Big Wow Prop Rules & Limitations
WEAPONS MUST BE PEACE-BOUND BY A ROVER AT A PEACE-BONDING STATION. With the exception of explicitly banned props, all peace-bonding will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
Certain weapons are banned no matter what:
- Anything which is illegal in the City of San Jose, Santa Clara County, California or the United States in general.
- Real firearms of any kind (inclusive of black powder and cap and ball style)
- Projectile weapons (bows, crossbows, slings) may be carried, but may not be loaded at any time.
- Airsoft & BB weapons may be carried as long as they have a orange tip, have their power sources removed, and unloaded.
- Prop guns, which are suitably realistic that they could be mistaken for a real gun, or which utilize significant parts of a real gun.
- Any item may be added to this list at any time by Big Wow management.
Changes will be posted at Rovers, Peace Bonding stations, and to the website.
Some props are allowed conditionally:
- Sword-like props may not be drawn in any part of the convention other than areas specifically designated for photoshoots and with suitable space.
All props must be small enough to fit through a standard doorway without effort.
While carrying props, you will be held to very strict behavior standards:
- Props may not be brandished, flailed around, or used (for play-fighting or otherwise).
- Especially in crowded areas, attendees are expected to carry their props carefully & in neutral positions. Long or tall props must be carried vertically, and sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered or otherwise secured.
- Using props in an unsafe or threatening manner may result in more severe consequences.
Regardless of the above guidelines, Big Wow staff shall retain the final and ultimate right of refusal for any costume, prop, or weapon. In short, use common sense; don't impair the ability of others to enjoy the event. Do not block the flow of traffic in the doorways, panel rooms, of vendor hall for photoshoots, please take them outside, to the designated shoot areas, or the large main hallways.
There are some great "designated" areas for Photo Op's... Have fun and Use them all you want.